Please visit my new site:

Monday, October 15, 2007

Why 95% Of Internet Marketers Fail And How You Can Avoid It

By Andrew Jones

It's the greatest dream for most people. To be able to operate your own business, earning income from home on complete auto-pilot, with no boss to worry about, work when you want or take a holiday whenever you want, and to buy a house, car, boat or other toys. But for 95% of people that start an online business, this dream will end in failure. Why do so many fail? The simple answer is that they quit before success has a chance to appear, and often only one or two months after starting.

If you've been around for a little while, you probably are familiar with some of the big name gurus in Internet Marketing. The interesting thing about their journey is that they are all fairly similar to each other, in that many of them struggled in their online business for years. Some for 2 years, 4 years or even 6 years before they started to make a profit. Obviously in this present day, it doesn't need to take this long to make it because we can learn from their mistakes and we have all the latest technology to make life easier.

The point is that, they aren't successful now just because of special skills or knowledge, because many of them started out with no such resources, the same as you and me. They are successful now because they just KEPT GOING no matter what. Can you imagine "failing" for 4 years before you started to make a profit? Many people can't imagine doing that for more than 2 months. Persistence, hard work and a burning desire for "the dream" is all that the gurus had, and all that YOU need. How badly do you want that dream?

The other stumbling block to succeeding online is your concept of failure. Usually when the 95% make a mistake, have a set-back or can't do something, they see this as a sign that they will always fail, that they will never get it, and that they aren't cut-out for internet marketing. On the other hand, the 5% see failure as feedback, letting them know when they are off-course and a learning experience where they can become even wiser. They see it as being one step closer to success. The irony is that successful people make more mistakes than anyone, yet they are willing to pay that price and make mistakes, and that is why they succeed. Any set-back is just an obstacle to go around, over, under or through.

Where would we be today if Thomas Edison gave up on the light bulb? He tried literally hundreds of different combinations to get the light bulb to work. Each attempt brought him one step closer to success and he knew it because he just expected to make it work - it was just a matter of when, not if. When a baby is learning how to walk they fall over many many times before they finally get it. Do you think they ever say to themselves, "Ah well, I guess I'm just not cut-out for this walking, I'll have to crawl around for the rest of my life."

Another trap to avoid, is measuring your progress based on how far you have to go to reach your goal. It seems so far away and no matter what you do, it never seems to get any closer (a bit like no matter how far you travel, the horizon never gets any closer). This will only make you feel discouraged, less motivated and more likely to give up. Instead, look back to where you started and see how far you've come. You will be absolutely amazed at how much you've learned, how much you've done and how far you have come. This will be very motivating because you will see that you have actually made a lot of progress. So focus your mind and actions on your goal, but measure your progress based on how far you have come.

When I first decided to start an online business, I almost gave up even before I got going. Why? Because I read about the 95% failure rate and I thought that I was probably wasting my time and there was little chance of me succeeding in this game. But I knew how much I wanted the dream and I decided that I would focus my mind on the 5% that make it, and learn as much as I can about how they did it. If you keep learning, keep taking action and NEVER stop, you will be in the 5%. It's just a question of when, not if.

Article Source:

Andrew Jones has been a business owner for the past 10 years, and is now a Plug-In Profit Site owner. Discover the best earn extra income opportunity.